About the Program
The Self-Sufficiency Fund Program assists adult recipients of Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits, and individuals earning less than $37,000 annually with a dependent child (custodial or noncustodial) or an individual at risk of becoming dependent on public assistance.
- Training offered must be provided within one of the identified industry clusters: Advanced Technologies and Manufacturing, Aerospace and Defense, Biotechnology and Life Science, and Information and Computer Technology.
- Participants must enroll in training that leads to an acceptable industry-recognized certificate or credential. This includes Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA), Phlebotomist, Patient Care Technician, Computer Use Support Specialist and Computer Numerical Controlled Machine Operator (CNC).
- The certification training will be conducted by Alamo Colleges-Central Texas Technology Center.
- Training must focus on core, ancillary or support occupations that establishes a career path toward higher-level occupations.
- Participants will be eligible to receive soft skills development, job readiness training and supportive services through services at the Workforce Centers operated by Workforce Solutions Alamo, Alamo Colleges-CTTC and CCSCT. Supportive services may include child care, transportation, gas vouchers, bus passes, emergency rent and utility, mortgage assistance, job referrals, tools, equipment or other work related expenses. These services will aid participants in the transition from training and remove barriers for employment.
- Upon successfully completing their certification, the Workforce Solutions Alamo Centers and training providers will be valuable in linking participants to employers as they have established relationships with employers that broaden the base for employment for the participants in this program. Additional linkage between participants and employers will be made by having them participate in WSA sponsored job fairs and the two job fairs that are held at the CTTC – Alamo College Center. Various local employers, including those that have provided support letters for this application, have expressed interest in having access to SSF grant training completers.
To complete an application to determine eligibility, click here. Upon completion of the application, please email your application to email@example.com. She will then contact you regarding your eligibility for the program.
The counties serviced by the Self-Sufficiency Program include: Atascosa, Bandera, Comal, Frio, Gillespie, Guadalupe, Karnes, Kerr, Kendall, McMullen, Medina and Wilson.
This program is funded (in whole or in part) by the Texas Workforce Commission.
Contact Community Services Program
Address: 1220 Simmons Ave, Jourdanton, Texas 78026